Job Opportunities at AFAP
Junior Fertilizer Policy and Market Analyst (AFO South Africa)
Position: Junior Fertilizer Policy and Market Analyst
Status: consultant or intern
Type of contract: short term contract
Duration: 3 months minimum, 5 months maximum
Indicative starting date: 1 November 2015
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Closing date for application: 15 October 2015
- ABOUT AFRICAFERTILIZER.ORG
Led by IFDC, the AfricaFertilizer.org (AFO) initiative has been implementing since 2010 its activities across the Sub-Saharan African region with support from the Africa Fertilizer and Agribusiness Partnership (AFAP), the International Fertilizer Industry Association (IFA), the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nation (FAO), and the Commission of the Africa Union (AUC). It aims to contribute to the development of a sustainable and profitable agriculture sector in Africa through the provision information on fertilizers to the public and private sector, including the fertilizer industry, smallholder farmers and agro dealers.
- BACKGROUND OF THE POST
AfricaFertilizer.org initiative collect, compile, process and publish on its website and other media, information and data on fertilizers in sub Saharan Africa, ranging from prices, trade and consumption statistics, to fertilizer business and product directories among others.
AfricaFertilizer.org is recruiting a Junior Fertilizer Policy Analyst to assist the AFO team to compile and organize existing information and data related to fertilizer policies, regulations and subsidy programs across sub-Saharan Africa, in order to create online fertilizer dashboards that will be published on AfricaFertilizer.org website.
- DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the supervision of AFO coordinator and with assistance from AFAP and IFDC experts, the Junior Fertilizer Policy Analyst will:
- Compile existing primary and secondary information available on current fertilizer policies, regulations, and subsidy programs in sub-Saharan Africa
- Design database driven dashboards that will capture the information collected above in order to publish them online on AfricaFertilizer.org
- Liaise with FERTASA to compile and update on AfricaFertilzer.org fertilizer statistics and market information from FERTASA member countries
4. PROFILE, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Education: university-level degree (preferably Bachelor’s degree) in agriculture, agribusiness or economics fields.
- Work experience:
- Young professional with 0-2 years of experience.
- A previous working experience will be an advantage (private sector or NGOs involved in agriculture, rural development, agro food industry)
- Professional knowledge and skills:
- Competence in the use of MS Office package; strong proficiency in Word and Excel required
- Excellent written communication, reporting and presentation skills;
- Able to complete work with less or no supervision.
- Good organisational skills with ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Thorough knowledge of English
- Nationality: The applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of South Africa.
- HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates having the relevant qualifications and profile are required to send the documents listed below via email to the AfricaFertilizer.org coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org before 15 October 2015. Please indicate in the ‘Subject’ of the email the title ‘Junior Fertilizer Policy Analyst (AFO South Africa).
Applications should include:
- A letter of motivation (maximum one page);
- An up to date CV, including references;
- A copy of the highest diploma/degree, as well as training certificates related to the position. Original documents are to be presented once a candidate is selected.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please quote the source of the advertisement in your application.
IFDC is an equal opportunity employer. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.