Malawi: Information and Communication Tools (ICT), a solution amidst the pandemic: The Case of Chikwendeni General Dealers
Basic digital extension service delivery
- Involves the use of:
- USSD shortcodes via mobile network providers to send with Good Agricultures Practice messages.
- Â Community radios for both extension and marketing
- WhatsApp groups for both extension and marketing
- Customer services via phone.
- Â Involves the use of:
- Social media marketing (WhatsApp)
- Â Marketing jingles posted on Chikwendeni business WhatsApp group
- Online sales can be transacted via various mobile money platforms
With the implementation of these ICT tools, Chikwendeni General Dealers is moving slowly away from a more traditional way of doing business. And since most young farmers prefer cashless transactions, Chikwendeni has since adopted these for payments. Lutepo believes that his newly engaged ICT tools have helped him conduct business and better serve his customers despite the pressures of a destructive pandemic. He intends to use the same approach in his operation throughout COVID-19and beyond.